I was interviewed on Inside the Magic, a Disney fan podcast all about Disney Theme Park news. We chat at length about my love of animation, the Disney mythology, and writing the Figment comic series. Give it a listen!
The Geeksverse has a great review of Wayward Vol. 1, including a solid run down of some touchy subject matter we deal with in the series.
“I do feel confident in writing that Zubkavich and Cummings have been as “meticulous in [their] cultural research” as they can be, and that they have both the professional and personal background to mitigate, if not avoid altogether, the orientalism that occasionally plagues Western works of popular entertainment that spotlight Asian cultures.”
It’s that time again, the best four days in gaming is almost here – Gen Con in Indianapolis, Indiana!
Howard, Tracy, and I will be set up at BOOTH #1935. I’m bringing a solid cross section of comics including Skullkickers, Wayward, Samurai Jack, and Dungeons & Dragons: Legends of Baldur’s Gate.
Thanks to Howard we’ll also have a set of convention-exclusive Skullkickers Pins available at the show! Check ’em out. They turned out great!
On top of that, make a Skullkickers or Wayward purchase and you’ll get a free badge ribbon to show off your fandom.
On Thursday night Will Hindmarch and I will be hosting a special improv-style comedy gaming presentation called Who The #@%! Is My D&D Character?! based on the popular website of the same name. Characters will die, new fools will take their place, and we will guffaw. Expect a few industry special guests and good times. THURSDAY JULY 30, 7-9pm at the Crowne Plaza.
In addition to being at the booth, signing and sketching, I’m also proud to announce that I’ll be a part of the Gen Con Writer’s Symposium, a series of panels and discussions about writing craft and the creative business, as part of a new Comic Writing Track along with Bill Willingham (Fables), Chris Roberson (iZombie), Gene Ha (Top Ten), and Daryl Gregory (Legenderry).
Here’s a run down of panels I’ll be on as part of the Symposium:
THURSDAY JULY 30
1:00pm Writing Comics: It’s a Lot Like a Marriage – Authors & Artists
In comic writing you’re dependent on an artist—maybe more than one. Learn how to keep a good relationship with your creative collaborator. ROOM 242
2:00pm Writing Comics: Writing Women Friendly Comics
What is a comic for women? Is it a good idea to try to write to a specific readership? Is it even possible? Explore this topic with our distinguished guests. ROOM 242
FRIDAY JULY 31
1:00pm Writing Comics: Web Comics VS Digital Comics VS Paper Comics
Web Comics vs Digital Comics vs Paper Comics. What’s worth doing? What are the glories and pitfalls of each? Learn all of this and more! ROOM 242
3:00pm Writing Comics: When Only Batman Will Do
What do you do when nothing less than being able to write iconic characters will do? We’ll discuss how to do that, how to get those jobs, and how to keep them! ROOM 242
SATURDAY AUGUST 1
1:00pm Writing Comics: Serial Killers—Writing Serialized Stories
Most comics are serialized stories, written monthly over a year or two or even over decades! There are special challenges to writing this way and we’ll explore the toughest ones. ROOM 242
3:00pm Writing Comics: Write Until it Hurts
Writing comics can be a real challenge, and like every artistic endeavor, sometimes doing it right can hurt! Learn why it can hurt to write comics, and how to deal with it. ROOM 242
Needless to say, there will be a lot going on at Gen Con! If you’re at the show make sure you stop by and say “Hi!”
Arriving in October. Pre-order now!
FIGMENT 2 #2 (of 5)
JIM ZUB (w) • RAMON BACHS (a)
Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
FIGMENT AND DREAMFINDER’S LEGACY CATCHES UP TO THEM!
• As Figment and Dreamfinder adapt to their new time period, a shadowy threat emerges… and you’ll never guess its origin!
• Steampunk adventure and modern technology clash with unexpected results!
• Don’t miss the next installment of the sequel to the fan-favorite, sell-out miniseries!
32 PGS./All Ages $3.99
Elements based on Figment © Disney
Arriving in October, pre-order now!
WAYWARD, BOOK 1: DELUXE HC
STORY: JIM ZUB
ART: STEVE CUMMINGS, TAMRA BONVILLAIN, & JOHN RAUCH
COVER: STEVE CUMMINGS & TAMRA BONVILLAIN
OCTOBER 14 / 320 PAGES / FC / M/ $39.99
“If Wayward isn’t the next Saga, it will be a damn criminal shame.” —Bleeding Cool
Includes a special poster of the 5-part WAYWARD connected cover illustration from issues #6-10!
Rori Lane is trying to start a new life in Japan, but ancient creatures lurking in the shadows of Tokyo sense something hidden deep within her, threatening everything she holds dear. Can she unlock the secrets of her power before it’s too late?
Image Comics’s new supernatural sensation gets the deluxe treatment in this oversized hardcover collection that includes every stunning cover illustration, design sketches, and extensive essay material on Japanese culture and mythology by noted monster scholar ZACK DAVISSON.
Collects WAYWARD #1-10
(issues #1-10 plus extras)
Image Comics’s new supernatural sensation gets the deluxe treatment in this oversized hardcover collection that includes every stunning cover illustration, design sketches, and extensive essay material on Japanese culture and mythology by noted monster scholar Zack Davisson. Includes a special fold-out poster of the 5-part Wayward connected cover illustration from issues #6-10!
It’s hard to believe my 14th San Diego Comicon is coming up this week. I’m not set up at a specific booth/table this year, but I’ll be at panels and doing a signing along with general socializing and cruising the floor of North America’s pop culture pandemonium. Here’s where you’ll definitely be able to find me:
SUNDAY JULY 12
02:00pm-03:00pm PANEL: Image Comics- Where Creators Own Imagination ROOM 7AB
Feel free to bring comics to be signed to any of the panels I’m on and I’ll happily sign them up after the panel is over. For the Image booth signing, I’m also happy to sign any non-Image books I’ve done, so don’t hesitate to bring those by. Of course, if you see me elsewhere on the floor, feel free to say “Hi”!
In addition to the above, I’ll also be signing books to be CGCed to help raise funds for the Hero Initiative. Books get dropped off at the Hero Initiative booth and then they’re signed off site. Details in the image below:
This weekend I’ll be a guest at the Montreal Comiccon running from July 3-5. At the show I’ll be set up at BOOTH 3305 and will have a great selection of comics available: Wayward, Skullkickers, Samurai Jack, Figment, Makeshift Miracle, and more!
If you live in the Montreal area, come on out to the show! It’s going to be a fun weekend.
I’m thrilled to have a new pin-up piece included in UDON’s upcoming Capcom Fighting Tribute book. Going off the beaten path a bit, I did three characters from Warzard (also called ‘Red Earth‘ here in North America) and went for a more cartoony approach. It was tons of fun putting this together.
Here’s a step-by-step on my process. You can click on each one for a larger version:
STEP 1: This one started as a series of really loose lines and shapes, trying to find an appealing composition and flow to the overall drawing. Once I was happy with how that first pass looked I could move on to a more structured drawing.
STEP 2: I try to keep some of the energy of the initial gesture while building structure into the figures.
STEP 3: Looking more carefully at the character reference, I make adjustments to the proportion and costume details.
STEP 4: I do a quick shadow pass to get a sense of the mood and make sure that the direction of light is clear and accentuates the character volumes properly.
STEP 5: I carefully digitally ‘ink’ each character to create the final line art, using different colors so I can more easily keep track of each one.
STEP 6: I drop in flat colors for a base palette.
STEP 7: Here’s the base palette with shadows added.
STEP 8: And the final step – highlights, reflected light, effects, and color correction to finish it off.
Capcom Fighting Tribute will premiere with a limited-run convention edition hardcover at San Diego Comic-Con, July 9-12!
The standard edition of Capcom Fighting Tribute will be released September 2015. Links to pre-order the book at a variety of online retailers can be found here: http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/product/capcom-fighting-tribute
Wayward #9 arrived this week and momentum is building for the big finish to our second story arc. Let’s see what reviewers thought of it.
• All-Comic: 8/10 “This comic continues to be a breath of fresh air in Image’s line-up. It can honestly be said that there isn’t an American comic like it. It’s educational, entertaining, emotional and gorgeous.”
• Big Glasgow Comic Page: 5/5 “Once again, Wayward managed to go past my expectations – which are pretty high with this series.”
• Comic Attack: 8/10 “Wayward is the series you should be reading for that supernatural, fantasy escape with panel after panel of great artwork.”
• Comic Book Bin: 10/10 “What more can I say about the comic book that should have received a ‘Best New Series’ Eisner nomination?”
• Comics the Gathering: 9/10 “Zub, Cummings, Bonvillain, Dillon are producing top of the line work and Zack Davisson’s excellent essays continue to provide education and interesting topics related to the comic.”
• Fandom Post: B+ “Wayward’s moving in some interesting directions here and we’re seeing the cast take shape in new ways due to all the pressures being applied to them.”
• Geeked Out Nation: 8.3/10 “Solid issue showing us what happens when youth, disaster, power, and responsibility create a dangerous combo.”
• Omnijerbear: “It’s really fantastic. Each issue blows me away.”
• Paradox Comics Group: 8/10 “Wayward continues to impress and should be on your radars by now.”
• Reading With a Flight Ring: “It’s no wonder that for me this is a top tier book that’s been in my top ten list every month it’s been out. This is an amazingly special book that wraps you into a world you dare to only dream exists.”
• Snap Pow: 9/10 “there’s no room for doubt because month in and month out Image Comics continues to have a winner on their plate.”
• Telltale Mind: 8/10 “Great story and fantastic artwork equals another win for Zub and company.”
• TM Stash: 10/10 “Zub’s scripts continue to be outstanding, mixed with the beautiful illustrations of Steve Cummings and colors of Tamra Bonvillain.”
• Under the Comic Covers: “I can never say enough about Steve Cummings’ artwork. Just so damn stunning.”
• We the Nerdy: 9/10 “This is how you do a build-up comic. You make me love the characters more, and then you make me worried that they’re all walking into danger.”